Monday, December 29, 2008

Mama was a rollin' stone

So, I have managed to survive a 33 hour trip on a train with two children. Let me start by saying that I love the train itself. The rocking is very soothing (most of the time) and the whole experience is really cool.

We left our house Friday morning at about 2:30, the train was supposed to leave at 4:30. We parked and immediately got stuck in a pile of mud-snow. The pants I was wearing for the whole trip got a good splash of mud and Jesse really worked his muscles jacking up the car and putting boards under the tires. Finally, I nice man with a snow plow pulled us out. It was now 5:30, but not to worry dear friends, the train was late and wasn't expected until about 7. What luck! Well, not lucky for the transient that got hit and caused the delay, but it worked out for our stuck car.

So we went and got breakfast and got on the train and got out of town at 7:30. The first day went well. The baby loved sleeping on the train and Henry took a good nap too. The highlight was trying to use a bathroom the size of a soda can while holding the baby at the same time. Peeing on a train is hard enough, then add in doing it all one handed and you're in for a rocking good time.

We were scheduled to arrive in Mt. Pleasant Iowa at noon on Saturday, but after the original delay we got caught up in freight traffic and got there at 5:30 in an ice storm. FUN!

I wish I could have put up the cute pictures of the boys on the train, but I didn't bring the cable to my brand new pink camera! I'll put them up as soon as I can.

1 comment:

ashley said...

I'm so glad to hear you made it okay! Hopefully you didn't tinkle on yourself.

I babysat Charlotte and Tori tonight. And Charlotte wanted to play with you and was really upset that you are in Iowa. So hurry back!